Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Movies

We don't often go to a theater to see a movie.

But last night we did.

All 5 of us.

We went to see Lone Survivor.

If you haven't seen it yet, it is NOT
the "feel good movie of the year".
But that aside, it is AMAZING.

It is based on the true story of Marcus Luttrell.
He is a Navy Seal.
I've listened to him tell his story on the radio for several years.
He wrote a book about his experience.
(which I loved)
And then they made it into a movie.

Marcus says this is as close to the real story
as they could come within the constraints of a movie.
(In one interview he said the movie looks a lot like his nightmares)
Things that happen pretty quickly on the screen
actually took HOURS and even DAYS in reality.
But even squishing it down, it's INTENSE.

The language is rough.
Marcus himself is a Texan gentleman.
He said "I NEVER cuss in front of a lady.
But my Mom wasn't on that mountain."

We all "enjoyed" the movie
and I now have a waiting list of people who either
want to borrow my copy of his book,
or want me to read it to them.

I HIGHLY recommend both the movie and the book.
True patriots in action.
And heros.
Amazing. Bigger than life. Heros.

(BTW - he gets to play a speaking part in the movie...)

No comments: