Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Feet

We were busy this past weekend.

We have been raising "meat" chickens.
They are Jumbo Cornish X.

Those suckers grew like crazy!!!

One of the larger roosters weighed 10 pounds!

So...
It was time to fill the freezer.
It took longer than I had hoped.
I'm not good at it yet.
I got faster the more I did...
but I'm still slow.
I'll bet Sam could have done them
in half the time!

Whatever.

My freezer is looking good!

I didn't take a picture of the dressed out birds.
Frankly, I was over it.
(grin)
Nobody tells you how bad processing
chickens STINKS!
Especially these babies.
All I wanted to do was take a shower.

BUT.

I had these left over.
I heard they make good dog treats.


Look how HUGE these things are!
They look like turkey legs!
My 10 pound turkey dressed out
at just over 5 pounds!
There's enough meat on one breast
to feed both Rod and I.
And those thighs!
Whew!

Anyhow.
I soaked these overnight in some clean water.
Then I put on some gloves and scrubbed them.
Then I put them on a cookie tray and put them
in the freezer.
Then an hour or so later I opened the freezer
to put something else in.
And nearly was knocked FLAT by the odor.

So I tossed them all in a double freezer bag.
And I'll probably toss them.
Unless my disgusting dog decides they are tasty.

I know they make great stock.
But first you have to scald them to
get the skin off.
Frankly, I don't have a pan I'm willing
to put them in to scald.

So the dog can eat 'em stinky...
Or the trash man can take 'em away
for the raccoons at the dump.

PEEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUUUW!

3 comments:

Katie said...

On a natural food list I'm on the ladies were very excited about getting chicken feet @ $1.50/lb so they could make chicken stock out of them. NO WAY. Ewww.

Collette said...

Katie - my neice makes GREAT chicken stock with her chicken feet all the time - but these meaties just have NASTY poop, and since they walk around in it all day - Eeeeeeuuuuwww. (But I probably will use my regular layers legs when I get around to butchering some of them... I have several who have quit laying and are now sporting a fashionable black band around their leg... lol)

Rozann said...

Too funny about the black leg band! Poor girls! Marked 'for life' (or whatever?!) Sam just processed her meaties too - all processed, they barely fit into gallon ziplock bags for soaking. I think they are all still in my casita fridge! LoL