Thursday, November 11, 2021

IBotta Thanksgiving

 Have you ever heard of the app "ibotta"?

It's an app you can put on your phone
or computer or iPad or whatever....
and then it gives you cash back when you
buy specific groceries.

I've used Fetch for a long time.
It's another app that gives you points
when you scan ANY receipt.
And then the points can be traded for
gift cards (YEA AMAZON!)
A regular receipt (gas, groceries, fast food)
will get you 25 points and then sometimes
if you buy something they are promoting
you get bonus points.
But since I RARELY buy name brand,
I rarely get the extra points.
And that's also why I don't use ibotta.
You have to buy the specific brand.

However.
ibotta is running a special right now.
FREE THANKSGIVING MEAL.

So I took the time to go through the app
and then took the extra time at the store
to buy the specific stuff.
It would have been easier if I was alone
and if I was more familiar with the app
and had planned correctly.
I spent a lot of time running back and forth
between aisles (since our WalMart just 
re-organized AGAIN! SHEESH!)
Kyle was with me and its harder to
bounce around the store with another person.

Anyhow.....
here's how we did!


I forgot to put the Dreamfields pasta in the picture,
but I got a good discount on that as well,
and since I use it all the time I was happy to see that!
They had one free can of cranberry sauce too,
but by the time I got to the store, it had expired.
So I bought some, but didn't get it free.

So...
Turkey - FREE (up to $15 and that guy was $14.56)
Marie Calendar pie - FREE (I don't like pie and never buy it,
but hey, FREE!)
FREE french fried onions and cream of mushroom soup
(forgot to put that can in the picture too!)
FREE instant mashed potatoes.
FREE frozen veggies. 
FREE brown gravy mix. (Kyle prefers that over turkey...)
And good discounts (like $1 back) on all the rest including
the toothpaste.

As I shopped, I scanned the barcode on each of
the products on the app to make sure it was what
they specifically required. It's easy - it either says
Barcode Matched or NO match.
And it takes it off your list.
So when I was all done I could have just scanned
the barcode on my receipt, but because I linked
ibotta with my WalMart account it did it automatically.

And returned .... wait for it!!!!!
$35.33 back into my bank account!

So... it is a little extra work both before shopping
and at the store, but if you are going to buy
name brand groceries (and with the discounts
it ends up cheaper than the store brand)
it was worth it.

I might not do it all the time....
but it was fun for this trip!

No comments: