Wednesday, July 31, 2024

A/C

 Yesterday was our hottest day of the year so far.

I know.....
You Arizonians are laughing at me right now.
But 107 is still pretty hot.
When we went to the farm, we left the AC on 84
so Beau would be ok.
(I don't usually turn it on until about 4:30 
when the house finally starts getting sun
through the front window and it gets hot...)

It was nice to come back to a cool house.

And then it died.

Started making a funny noise and stopped 
cooling the air in the house.

So I jumped online and submitted a service request
with our home warranty company.
Got a quick phone call back from the AC guy who
said he doesn't service WaKeeney.
Sigh.
The disadvantage of a small town.

Anyhow.

This morning he called me again and started with
"We never spoke". (grin)
He said he is the only AC guy in our neck of the woods
and I am nearly 2 hours from him so he just can't.
But I need to call the company and tell them it's an
emergency situation. I'm ... whatever.
Sick, Old, whatever.
So I did.
And they said they would do their best to find
me a contractor.

He said, they will try for 48 hours and then they
have to give up and I then find my own.
The guy I hire has to get an authorization from the
insurance company and then he bills me and I
get reimbursed from the insurance company.
Sounds like a pain in the neck.

BUT.

The contract says they HAVE to repair it.
And if they can't they HAVE to REPLACE it.
So I'm willing to go through the gymnastics.

But in the meantime, its a little toasty.

Beau and I have been wearing damp kitchen towels
all day - he let me put it on him like a cape
and wore it happily nearly all day.

Then when Kyle got home he moved the new
window shaker from the garage into my office
so I could teach this evening.
It's LOUD.
But cool.

Meanwhile, this morning while it was still
only 67 degrees out (and in)
I processed the mangos.




I now have 6 large bags of mangos in the deep freeze.
Waiting for winter.
It's too hot in the garage to run the freeze dryer.
(which is why we bought the AC unit, but there is no
insulation in the roof or the garage door and it just
couldn't do the job....)
Kyle priced it out and it would be $1200 to fix up the
garage the right way.
So maybe in the future... but definitely NOT now.

2 comments:

rktucson said...

Sorry about your ac. That is never fun!! We have recently started talking with solar folks and are ready today to pull the trigger. So in about 2 months time we should have a new solar system in place. Fingers crossed you can find a good ac contractor. Maybe ask around at church if anyone has a suggestion?

rktucson said...

Oh and the mangos look so yummy