Monday, July 1, 2024

Monday Musings

 Rozann and I were chatting this morning
and talking about memories.
My earliest memory is the one with the scissors.
We were VERY young.

My next earliest memory is when I got lost at the zoo.

I think I've told this story before, but if not,
here we go again.

Mom LOVED to go to the zoo and she would
randomly announce she wanted to go to the zoo
and she would load up the car with us 4 girls
and any of our friends who got permission to go.

Well, I remember Rozann was in the stroller
(and I seem to remember the black leather coat
with the fringe, that seems to go with this memory,
but that would mean she was older than I think....
anyhow. Memory is a funny thing.)

Anyhow.
We went to the children zoo and looked at all
the baby animals they had there.
There was a bear "pit" with red metal stairs
like the ones on a slide that went up  to a catwalk
above the baby bears and then you went back
down another set of red stairs on the other end.

We all went up and we all went down.
Well, not ALL.
I was enthralled with the baby bears and when
I finally was done watching them, I looked around
and I was alone.
So I went down and looked for Mom and the kids
and they were nowhere in the children's zoo.
So I started to cry.
And some kind zoo worker took me to
"lost and found" and while they announced
over the loud speaker for Mrs Stoddard to come
collect her little girl, they bought me an ice cream cone.

We were in a backroom and there was this picture
on the wall.


There was a macaw in the other room,
I could hear it, and some other animals,
and I was SURE there were dogs in the other room,
but they were playing cards and DRINKING BEER!
I was honestly terrified.
They were doing something I had been taught was BAD.
And I was so afraid what would happen if they
opened the door and found me in there.

Well... anyway.
Mom had left the children's zoo and walked across
the grass field over to the playground and broke
out the bag of sandwiches she brought for lunch.
And then at some point she did a head count
and realized one was missing and as soon as 
she gathered everybody up and headed back to the zoo
she could hear the announcement.
(They apparently don't pipe it to the playgound...)
So she went and rescued me.
And all was well.

But I am eternally traumatized.
(NO, I'm really not.... in fact I TOTALLY forgot
this memory until one night when I was working
an overnight in 1980 at Dairy Herd Investigators,
punching in dairy cow information, which is a
MIND NUMBING job, so my brain was wandering
and pulled this memory up for my entertainment!)

Anyhow.
Good story.
With a visual.
You're welcome.
And now I'm finished teaching my class
and I'm off to make us some lunch before
Kyle heads back to the farm.
(He had to come home and clean the carb
on his little generator - had some trash in there.)
I just heard it start, so he'll be coming in soon.
Have a fun Monday!

1 comment:

rktucson said...

Ah you did make a post about the zoo episode. Pretty funny and I'm glad you did so I could remember the whole thing again as well. Not that I remember it from the time but I remember you telling me the story. I'm not sure I knew all these details so that was fun too. I'm glad the dogs playing cards drinking beer didn't open the door and find you. I'm sure that would have been disastrous haha