Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Chickens Have Landed

My chickens are getting "old".
The base flock are Golden Buffs 
(red sex links)
which are a hybrid breed,
"designed" for heavy laying.

They start laying early.
And they lay A LOT.
But only for a short time.
About a year and a half, tops.

Which is why I have 64 chickens
and I get an average of 26 eggs a day.

SOMEBODY is slacking!

Most of my girls are Buffs.
There are a few random others mixed in
that I have gotten from people getting
out of chickens.

I have a couple Barred Rocks.
An Easter Egger,
and a white Silkie.

Some of them are molting, and not laying.
But most of them are coming to the end of
their laying careers.

So...

I ordered the next round of layers.

This time I'm doing exclusively Golden Buffs.
They will all be little red hens.

(Most of the older girls are black, white, red or a combination)

They came today.


I got a call from our local post office
at 7:00 this morning.


They weren't open yet,
but kind of anxious to get rid of them.
They are a little NOISY.


Although when I opened the box,
most of them were catching a quick nap.


I counted each one (and checked their health)
as I took them out of the box and
set them near the water and food.

They were hatched on Monday
and have had nothing to eat or drink yet.

They were HAPPY to see the water!
And didn't take long to figure out the food.


The neighbors weren't sure what to make of them.

Lucy meets the new neighbors
Cutest picture EVER!

But you gotta admit.
They are ADORABLE!

And there are a LOT of them.

I ordered 50.
They snuck in 2 extras.

SO CUTE!!!!!












No comments: