Thursday, November 2, 2017

Expensive Couple of Days Part 3

So on... Monday.
*The days all sort of run together
I had a HUGE roster, 
although I only had 31 students.
There were 150 students registered.
And that meant I had an 82 page roster.
And 25 exam answer sheets.

I've always just popped it into
the office high speed scanner and
emailed it up to the home office.

But now I don't have access to that.

We have a scanner at the house though.
But it turns out it only does ONE page
at a time.
And each one is a separate file.

I ended up with 115 individual files.
I spent about 4 hours
scanning all the files
and then trying to figure out how
to stick them together in one document.

No dice.

I gave up and went out
to look at a new car.

Tuesday rolled around and I still needed
to send up my roster.
I got the brilliant idea overnight to just
run it over to Staples and scan and email
it from there.
I even remembered to bring my flash drive.

After about 10 minutes of scanning,
I ended up with 2 files.

And then the machine figured up the bill.

$57.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

NO WAY!

So I cancelled the transaction and 
walked over to the other side of the 
store and picked out a home / office
scanner, regular priced $200 on sale
for $119.99.

Bought it and brought it home.

While I was setting it up on my
kitchen table and figuring out 
how to use it,
I emailed my boss to ask if I
could expense it.

He emailed me right back and said
"Return it.  I'll order you one from
the company since they have them
in inventory."

I finished scanning
(ended up only being able to do
30 pages at a time, ending up with
4 files.)  Then I tried to email them.
The program I was using wouldn't send
more than 3 files at a time.
Then it turned out more than one file
at a time was too big for it to handle.

So hour and hours later I was finally
finished sending up all my paperwork.
Whew!

And then I boxed it all back up
and took it back to Staples and
got my money back.
And then I met Rod at the dealership
and we picked up our new car!

So although it was POTENTIALLY
an expensive day, it ended up being FREE!
(Although who knows when the scanner
will actually show up...  I'm watching my
UPS box...)

I "think" this might be the end
of the run of expensive days...
Fingers crossed.

No comments: