Friday, November 24, 2017

Happy Birthday To Me!

Yesterday was a nice, quiet Thanksgiving.

I FINALLY messed up dinner.
Not that I'm a great cook or anything,
but it has always managed to turn out.

I got started on the turkey at 10:00,
planning to cook for 3 hours and
serve around 2:00.

However, I did the time planning
with a turkey bag in mind.
I forgot that I quit using them.

And they cut the cooking time WAY back.

So it was going to take 4 hours
in the oven instead of just 3.

But that's ok.

I got it all ready and put it in the
turkey roasting pan,
tented it with heavy foil
and set the timer for an hour.

Turned off the timer,
pulled the foil off,
and put it back in the oven.

Came back in an hour to check
on it and discovered that I didn't
turn the timer off.
I turned the OVEN off!!!!!

Sigh.

So now it's going to be FIVE hours.

I kept texting Jim.
It's going to be 3:00.
Nope, 4:00.
Nope, 5:00.

We finally were ready at 6.
LOL

But it was moist and delicious.
And the sides were good too.
Especially Rod's mashed potatoes.

I ended up not calling Mom for gravy
instructions, since the turkey came with 
a turkey pack in it - all I needed to do was
add drippings and simmer for a bit.
It was a little salty, but pretty good.

*************************************

This morning dawned cold and overcast.
I went out, dragged the trash cans
to the street,
fed all the animals,
took the turkey carcass out to the chickens
to clean off,
came in and made myself a turkey
sandwich on Rhodes dough rolls
with a side of Pop's fruit salad
and a pecan tart for desert.

It's my birthday.
I can have that for brunch if I want.

And then, since it was a yucky looking
day outside, and Black Friday to boot
(NOT leaving my house for love or money)
I curled up on the couch with my afghan
and a good book.

It was a great,
quiet,
relaxing,
refreshing,
wonderful
birthday.

(And then I hopped in my car
and headed south to teach school.)

When I got to my hotel,
I climbed into bed with my
Chick Fil A sandwich,
turned on the TV 
and found.....


YEA!

A great end to a nice birthday.


If I have to be away from my family
on my birthday...
this will do.

No comments: