Monday, February 15, 2021

Green Beans!

 Oh how picking green beans takes me back!
I'm a young girl.
Crawling between the rows.
Shivering with the anticipation of a 
DADDY LONG LEG 
being on the beans!!!
YUCK!!!!!

This time I'm not crawling, but sitting
on my little padded garden stool.
And there aren't any daddy long legs
in Florida. 
It's MUCH MUCH worse.
lol.

Fortunately, they seem to avoid my bean patch.
(Although there WAS a dead snake out there
this morning --- no picture - you're welcome!)


The plants look a bit raggedy after the frost.

But they say they are heavy producers.
And they didn't lie!


I picked these Saturday afternoon.
(And left a LOT still on the plants...)


Pretty good haul!
(Doesn't that look like Mom's arm to you???)

You know what else is doing well?????


I harvested all the lettuce before the frost assuming that was it.
But it's growing back!
BETTER!
Who knew!!!
(The ants are doing pretty good too - darn them!)


Even the greens Kyle planted before the frost are thriving!
We have a couple different leaf lettuce,
some mustard and some kale...
Not sure what to DO with it... lol... but it's growing!

We have been out there planting shelling beans,
more of these wonderful "Slenderette" green beans,
and some (LOTS) okra.
Most of the seed houses are SOLD OUT.
But yesterday I found some more black eyed #46
and more Slenderettes.
EXPENSIVE.
But at least I got them...
And we will be vigilant about seed saving this year.
Don't want to have to depend on them again.

Fingers crossed!

No comments: