Saturday, January 5, 2013

I'm Hungry, That's Available

So.
I was reading one of the blogs I sort of casually follow.
Marks Daily Apple
It's a Paleo blog.
Now, I don't follow the Paleo method of eating.
I follow the "I'm hungry, that's available" method of eating.

I am certainly educated about what food hits the naughty and the nice lists.
This week.
I pay attention and eat well.
Mostly.
But I also definitely eat at McDonald's.
More than I should.

But remember, I live in a hotel every weekend.
Which means I'm one of those wierdos who eats out 6+ meals each week.
And 4 (or 5) of them are going to be fast food.

So, sometimes, "I'm hungry, that's available".  

Anyhow.

I was reading Marks Daily Apple the other day.
He was talking about food we don't eat often enough and should eat more of.

He mentioned oysters.

Which got my juices flowing.
I knew I was going to eat at Red Lobster tonight.
I'm a creature of habit.
And it's between the school and the hotel.
And it's on the right side of the road.
And it serves a good steamed broccoli.
So it hits lots of my preferences.

I usually have a bowl of soup, a house salad, and 
a pound of crab legs with a side of broccoli.
Hold the cheddar bay biscuits.
(I love them, but they make my face swell.)

But tonight I REALLY wanted raw oysters.

How is it that 6 raw oysters costs $8.99.
While nearly 2 dozen breaded cooked ranch shrimp, 
another 2 dozen grilled with mango/jalapeno, 
wild rice pilaf,
a large pile of broccoli,
and a house salad costs $11.99?????

All the "diet gurus" recommend instead of ordering an entree at a restaurant,
you order 2 appetizers.

Yeah right.

Most appetizers cost the same or just slightly less than an entree.
So you can have dinner for $12
Or 2 appetizers for $18.
I wanted raw oysters, jumbo shrimp cocktail, a small house salad and a bowl of soup.
I'm on an expense account.
But REALLY?
$9 for the oysters, another $9 for the shrimp, another $5 for the soup and $3 for a salad.
Crazy.

The oysters were EXCELLENT.
The shrimp was probably good.
But after I ordered it, I remembered I don't really like "hot" shrimp.
I love "peel 'n eats" or shrimp cocktail.
Cold shrimp is tasty!
Hot shrimp - not as much.

I ate enough to get full.
The brocolli was really good.
The wild rice pilaf was really good.
And, yes, I ate a biscuit.
It was excellent.
I'll be sorry tomorrow.

What Ever.

This post had nothing to do with anything.
But, there you go!




No comments: