Wednesday, January 23, 2013

WHAT?????

Not Sick.
Not Dead.
Not Away.

Just not writing.
LOL

Back to the office yesterday after a busy long weekend teaching four really nice,
interesting ladies.

I am required to have 5 students to run class.
Last month I had 5.
For one hour.
Ran the balance of the 4 days with 2 people.

This month I sent a text to the recruiter.
"It is 7:45.  I am alone."

(Registration starts at 7:00, class starts at 8:00.)

Luckily, about 2 minutes later, they started showing up.

One of them mentioned that our address is wrong on the website.
Several months ago we moved to a different suite.
For some reason, this month the website went back to our old address.
So at 7:15, one of the students (who owns the bakery next door)
noticed a man pull up, walk to the old suite, try the door, peak inside at an obviously
empty office, get back in his car and drive away.

Eventually, by just after 8:00, I had 4 students.
But I called and claimed five, since the other guy "might" come back.
(grin)

Anyhow.
It was a good class.
They were fun.
They were funny.
They were interesting.
They were interested.

But they were NOT getting it!

I go through a pile of flashcards that we use throughout class to reinforce the information.
Each time, I read the question.
Then I pause and wait for a response.
If I get nothing, then I give a couple of multiple choice answers.
Sometimes I do some "pantomime hints".
(What modifies a policy?  Answer:  Rider. 
Hint?  Make a horse with your hand and use your other hand to add a rider..... elementary, but it works!)
Usually when I offer the right answer choice the light comes on and they jump on it.
By the end of the 4 days, they generally need no prompts and often answer before I finish the question.

Not this group.
Read the question.
Nothing.
Prompts.
Nothing.
Facial / arm gestures.
Nothing.

Like blank stares and crickets.

So, I wasn't too surprised that 2 passed and 2 didn't.
One passed with a 73.5 and the other with a 75.
Usually I get nearly everyone passed with high 90's.

I have NO idea what went wrong.
But I didn't like it.

I'm really happy to have this weekend off.

And I'll hit the ground running the following weekend.
And THESE people SHALL PASS!

No comments: