Monday, September 12, 2016

Let's Not Do That Again

Wow.
What a weekend!

Friday night saw me heading south to Margate
a little early to meet the new/old instructor.
(She quit and then un-quit... lol)

Anyhow - during her hiatus we got our new iPads.
She came to the training, but still won't get
her own iPad until Wednesday.
(Today is her official "hire date") 

And it's the first time I tried it "live".
So we got together to hook it up,
make sure it all works, etc.

It hooked up a little slower than I wanted
but easier than I thought.
(And once I knew it takes a couple of
minutes I'm fine - was just getting
nervous when it wasn't "instant")

When I got there, she was already there
chatting with our newest Regional Vice President,
Markis.
He just got promoted last month
and moved into his new office this week.

We visited for a couple of minutes 
and then he left.
Lillian and I got finished and I decided
to put my stuff in my locked cabinet for the night.
Went to the back corner office were my
cabinet (full of all my school supplies)
only to find THAT was Markis' new office
and he LOCKED THE DOOR when he left!

Unfortunately, all we knew about him was his
name is Markis.  No last name.  No number.
Called the resident RVP and left a message.
Also texted him.

Headed out (around 9:00) to grab a salad
at McDonald's and head to my hotel.
On the way I called Rod and while we were
talking, I realized I didn't turn off the
projector hanging from the ceiling.
(When I turned off my iPad it went dark,
so I forgot all about it!)

Turned around and headed back.
Glad I did - you could see the Apple TV
stuff shining through the window.
A great invitation to the less savory types
to come on in and steal it.

While there, the RVP called and said
he would try to get a hold of Markis and
not to worry - he would make sure it was ok.
(Markis called him while we were on the phone,
so he said to hang for a minute in case Markis
was coming right back... he lives right around the corner)
I waited for 20 minutes with no word.

By the time I got out of there
it was too late to mess with dinner,
so I just went to my hotel.

When I got there, Kevin (RVP) called and said
Markis doesn't have a key either!
Omar (a Senior VP) owns the office and has
the key and HE is in the Bahamas!
Told Markis to put his stuff in his new office
and just lock the door - they would figure out
keys etc on Monday.

Sigh.

Luckily Kevin has a spare and he would drive
into town in the morning and get me in.
(Poor guy lives 30+ minutes away)

I got there 15 minutes early and Kevin
had already been there and "hidden" the key
and sent me a text with a photo.

Whew!
Crisis averted!

I got everything all set up and ready to go.
Then waited for students to show up.
And waited for students to show up.
And waited for students to show up.
(We had 38 pre-registered - can't run without 6)

At 7:45 they started to trickle in.
(Registration is 7:30)
By 7:50 I had 4.

As #4 came in, I looked at him and thought
"I know this guy.  He's been in my class before..."
Which isn't unusual.
He says
"Hi.  My name is Wayne, and I'm your auditor."
I laughed.
(Auditors are "mystery shoppers" and NEVER
identify themselves.)
He said, "no really".  
I said "Yah, I know.  I remember you from last time.
You audited me 6 years ago in Boynton Beach.
You brought a banana to class.
And you had weird ID."

LOL
So we laughed for awhile.
He was a "walk in" and "forgot" his ID.
(the idea is to see how I deal with that...)
I had him fill out a form and sign in
and class started.

Now, I send a welcome email to all my
registered students during the week to invite them
to class, give them directions to the school
(it's SUPER easy to find, but people still get lost)
and notify them we have been requested NOT to bring
ANYTHING but bottled water into the classroom.
*new carpet

The biggest problem with this site is there is no signage.
So I made a laminated sign for the front door
and another for the office door.
The one on the office door again reminds them
NO FOOD / DRINK.

So class starts.
I'm welcoming them and going over the rules.
(You know where this is going, don't you...)
NO SOONER do I say
remember, they've asked us to only bring in bottled water
than sure enough, the lady on the front row
reaches behind her to hang her jacket on her chair
and knocks the FULL CUP OF COFFEE
off the desk behind her onto the floor.
Creating a 3 foot coffee stain RIGHT INSIDE THE DOOR.

Fabulous.
So lunch break sees me dashing to Home Depot
and buying industrial strength carpet cleaner
and two rolls of paper towels.

Spent the rest of lunch scrubbing and spraying
and blotting and spraying and scrubbing and blotting.


This is what it looked like after a TON of cleaning.
(during lunch, every break all afternoon,
and about an hour after school)

Meanwhile, while trying to clean the carpet
I was also entering the student's hours into the computer
and registering my "phantom" student.
Turns out he only put half the information I needed
on the form.  The last 4 of his SSN and only
a house number but no street name.

I'm trying to figure out what to do
when I get a text.
From HIM!
LOL
He said, in all the excitement, he forgot
to give me the rest of his fake information.
Hahahahaha.

Finished up,
went out for a DELICIOUS dinner
of fall off the bone tender ribs and coleslaw.
FINALLY.
Something fabulous!

Sunday went well.
(Although it included more cleaning of
"the spot".  The lady who bumped it
brought some Oxyclean so we tried that...)
(The lady who brought the COFFEE was all 
like ... stuff happens... whatever...)
(grrrrrrrrr)

(Subway for a TERRIFIC, on plan,
turkey sub for lunch.  It was yummy!)

During the final hour, we were playing an online
game that the students use their phones for.
They love it - it's a really fun, competitive review.
And the sound system quit working.
Sigh.

(This is the same site where last month the projector
quit working so I had to teach the entire class without
my power point presentation.)

I was SOOOO glad when class was over!
Except when the students left,
Markis came back wanting the key.
And then he went in his office and closed
the door so he could call clients.

But I NEED to get in there and do my
inventory, put my extra stuff away, etc.
Which meant it was again about 8:00
before I finally got out of there.

Stopped and grabbed a burger.
(I was going to get another Subway for the
road, but it was POURING rain and I didn't
want to have to get out of my truck... lol)

When I FINALLY got home,
Rod was sitting on the couch.
I dragged my suitcase in the door.
Normally I sit on the couch with him and we
watch our favorite Hallmark show together
while I unwind from the drive.

NOPE!
I actually sat at the front gate for a couple
of minutes, wishing with all my heart it 
wasn't broken and I could just push a button
instead of get out.
(I was REALLY REALLY sleepy!)
Finally got out, opened the gate,
drove through, closed the gate,
parked the truck,
grabbed my suitcase (only because I needed
my pills and alarm clock out of it)
slouched into the house,
said Hello, I love you!
to my husband
and went STRAIGHT to bed.
LOL

This morning I am drinking a LARGE
Diet Coke.
And (kind of) dreading next weekend already.
LOL

1 comment:

rktucson said...

I heard somewhere (Sondra?) that you were cutting back your hours teaching and just working 1 or 2 weekends a month? Was this misinformation?
That being said - UGH! tough weekend!
Mine was somewhat better - but we were also on the road WAY too long and WAY too late on Saturday night after going to New Mexico for a football game and halftime show that Naomi was in. I was actually expecting to stay overnight somewhere, but Greg wanted to get home. We had gotten up early that morning for a 3 hour hike in the mountains, so I was tired already! (see my blog)
I could NOT stay awake - and I know Greg was having trouble too - we stopped a couple of times for 'fresh air' and a walk around. But arrived home safely around 1:30 or 2.
Needless to say, Greg was sick'er' Sunday morning and we stayed home all day and 'rested' - watching football and looking online (research) for a new car (have to replace the VW cause it's a TDI - I'm sure you know the saga with Jim being a VW salesman!