Friday, September 30, 2016

My Hero

Rod is my hero.

Back story...
A month or so ago,
a friend of a friend was moving away.
They had 16 chickens they bought
(sort of on a whim)
(actually as "friends" for their turkey!)
But now they were moving to S Carolina.
And NOBODY moves chickens.
LOL

So they didn't know what to do with them.
They were next door using the dog agility
area my neighbors have in their yard
when they "noticed" our flock.
So they asked if we would be willing
to take their girls.

Sure, I say.
Turns out there are 14 girls
and 2 roosters.
Both are beautiful.
One is teeny tiny.
A little bantam.
Small,
pretty,
well behaved.

The other is larger
(although still much smaller
then my two roosters,
Fred and Barney)

We named these two new boys
Frick and Frack.

Frick is the larger of the two.
He was a little feisty right from the start.
And I kind of had a bad feeling about him.

But we figured he would settle in
and the other roosters would set him straight.

He attacked Rod's leg
and Rod set him straight.
And we witnessed Fred and Barney both
giving him the "pecking order" in the yard.

But then he attacked ME.
So I had a word with him. 
(Delivered by the toe of my boot)

A few days later I mentioned to Rod that 
Frick seemed to be settling in and behaving
MUCH better.

And not 2 minutes later he attacked me!
(He's a sneak, he dances and looks all tough
and then waits until your back is turned
and goes for the back of your legs...)

So we had another conversation.
(*Frick and I, not Rod and I)
(Although Rod and I DID speak... lol)

Days went by and I thought it was all good.
But no.

So I had a VERY STRONG conversation with him.
Rod was not home.
Or the conversation would have ended there.

And again Frick appeared to have it all under control.

And then we come to last night.

Top bruise - beak
bottom bruise - talons

Stupid bird.

So Rod shot him.

I have spared you the picture of the dead rooster.
You're welcome.
(actually, I didn't take one.)

Rod is my HERO!
(And we went to Sunny's BBQ to celebrate!)
(Yes, I thought about eating him, but honestly
he was a scrawny little thing and not worth the trouble...)
(And I wanted pork.)

No comments: