Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sink Hole

Oh my goodness!
Kyle just video called me.
He just drove his tractor into a
sink hole!

He's out tilling one of the pastures
and all of a sudden the ground
just opened up and the back
end of his tractor fell in!

It's probably 4 feet deep.
Both of his rear tires are suspended in
the air about 2 feet above the bottom
of the hole.
The only thing holding his tractor out
is the bottom plough he was pulling.
I'm worried it's going to break that off.
Or at the very least break the PTO
on the back of the tractor.
Or fall in more.
Or fall over on Kyle.
Or.....

So I had him hang up and video call 
his Dad. Rod and Scott are both at
F.I.T. together tonight and between
those three, hopefully they will
be able to come up with a plan.

Good grief!

The hole goes the entire width of the tractor but is deeper on this side.

The only thing keeping it up is the plough.
The tines are 12 inches into the dirt.

He originally thought he drove over a gopher tortoise hole with the front tire. 

But then the back end fell in and he was pretty sure
he was going over sideways!

Anyhow.

Never a dull moment around here.

UPDATE:
He couldn't get Rod on the phone so he called me back.
I suggested he go get his "tank" and push some
of the loose dirt he's just ploughed into the hole
to give his tires something to grip.

So he did that.

Then he called me again and we video chatted,
because I wanted to WATCH him drive it out.
On the off-chance it fell over and squished him.
SOMEBODY needed to know he needed help.

He used the front bucket to try to pull himself
out, but as he tried to drive forward it tipped more,
so he reversed it and backed out of the hole.
The bucket was on the ground and pulled a
bunch of dirt back into the hole.

Whew!
So his tractor is safe,
his heart is back to beating normally,
and all is right with the world.

For now.

*********************************************************

In other news, Rod gave me a blessing last night.
I woke up about 4:15 this morning with an
elephant sitting on my chest, pretty sure
I have full blown bronchitis,
but as the day goes by,
I'm feeling really good.
Can take a full lung of air without coughing.
My voice is still a bit rough,
and squealing at your son on the phone
wasn't the best choice... (lol)
but I'm sucking on a lozenge and
feeling like I've got this under control.
Thankfully.
Because our doctor is out sick.
*(Pretty sure she caught it from Rod.. LOL!)

2 comments:

rktucson said...

Poor Kyle - love that he's still loving farming though! Way to go Kyle!

rktucson said...

Oh, and hope you are feeling better!!!
(and I love that I can post comments again! - Thank you Blogspot!)