Monday, April 13, 2020

Family Zoom

We had such a fun Family Zoom last night!

It was great to see all the faces!
And all the pets! 
(grin)


Technology is such a wonderful thing!

And now, this morning I gloved and masked up
and did the social distancing thing at WalMart 
and at Sams.
Needed (mostly) dog food.
And Kyle was out of chocolate milk mix
and since that's his breakfast every day.....
it was kind of essential.

Now I'm home, the groceries are put away
the animals are fed,
Kyle has gone to work,
I'm going to make some breakfast (yes, it's 11:30 am)
and do a workout.
Then I'm going to make a big batch of
egg salad for Rod (had to BUY eggs at Sams)
and maybe a couple loaves of sprouted bread.

*eggs: I caught the raven/crow red "beaked" who
has been sneaking into the coop as soon as I let
the girls out for the afternoon and stealing my eggs!
The other night I closed the coop, but when I came
out the next morning the door was open.
(It's just held closed by a hunk of wood on a single
screw - you just turn it to block the door... must have
not turned it far enough... it was a WINDY night...)
Anyhow, the girls were all out.
But that's ok, they stay close to home
and all return to the nest boxes to lay.
But when I went out later to collect eggs
there weren't ANY!
So the next day when I let the girls out
(and collected the eggs)
I hid in the barn and watched.
Sure enough - here he came.
Sat on the top of the roof ladder,
then the other leg of the roof ladder,
then the edge of the roof (over the horse trough)
then onto the pasture gate,
then on the fence post next to the coop,
then ... zoop! Into the coop!
Stinker!!!

So I have to be more vigilant about gathering
my eggs before I let the girls out.
Anyhow.
I lost 7 eggs that day.
Saturday I only got 5
and yesterday I only got 6 (1 was broken in the nest).
And Rod had a guy at work who has REALLY
been waiting a long time for eggs,
so we sold him 2 dozen on Friday.
Which meant I was nearly out.

But selling all those eggs paid for the round roll
of hay for the cows for this 2 weeks.
So it's a fair trade-off.
*I can buy eggs WAY cheaper than what
we sell them for...
They are generally $.98 at Aldi.
I paid $1.50 for 18 today.
They don't taste as good, but when you are
just going to smother them in mayo and make
egg salad out of them, it doesn't matter.

OK.
GET TO WORK COLLETTE!
Have a lovely day!

No comments: