Saturday, January 13, 2018

3 MONTH ANNIVERSARY

Today marks 3 months since I retired.

I'M SOOOO BORED!!!!!

(HAHAHAHA and I have some
Arizona beach-front property
to sell you...)

I am so happy.
I feel REALLY good.
Healthy.
I've lost 10 pounds.
Yesterday I wore size SIX jeans
all day long!

To celebrate I made lunch.
(grin)

The guys are both home today.
What with it being Saturday and all.
(The last Saturday I'll be home for a while...)
(I go back to teaching next weekend.)
(It's been a MONTH.)
(Wonder if I remember what to say???)

Remember
Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup?
Only the BEST canned soup in the world.

Well.
Now I know how to MAKE it!!!!

(page 98 in the cookbook I sent Nanc for Christmas)

It was super easy and a dead ringer!

I chose to make it in my pressure cooker.
But the book also gives directions for
using a crockpot.

If you use a pressure cooker, you don't 
need to soak the beans, but I did anyway.
Mostly because I was going to make it
last night, but we ended up going out instead.

So.

I bought a little 1 pound bag of white navy beans.
And a little bag of already cut up butternut squash.
Because I'm lazy and people say butternut
squash is hard to cut without losing a finger.
I like my fingers.

Soaked the beans.
This morning I put a little butter in a 
little fry pan (the same one I just cooked
my fried egg in - it still had butter in it,
so I just added a little more... lol)
Put 4 cloves of minced garlic
(which I buy already minced because 
I'm lazy and people say... ok people
don't really say anything about garlic.)
Used my kitchen shears and chopped up
6 slices of turkey bacon and added
it to the butter and garlic.
Let that go for a bit while I walked
to the other end of the house to the big 
freezer to get a bag of riced cauliflower.
(Which I buy already riced and frozen
because I'm lazy and ricing cauliflower
is a pain in the neck.)
(And Sam's had it on sale.)
(I bought 6 giant bags.)
(Might last a month.)
(I use a LOT of riced cauliflower.)

Anyhow.

By the time I walked back to the kitchen,
it was time to put the beans, cauliflower,
butternut, garlic, bacon and 1 onion I quartered
into the pressure cooker.
The recipe called for 10 cups of HOT water.
I added 8 cups of HOT water and 2 cups
of some of my beef bone broth I made
last week because... why not?

Salt, pepper, onion powder, liquid smoke,
Braggs aminos (but if you don't have it,
it tastes EXACTLY like soy sauce, just healthier)
put the lid on, set it for 25 minutes on HI
and went out into the yard to "help" the guys.

More on THAT later...

It took a long time to come up to pressure.
That's a lot of liquid.
And the beans and squash were right out
of the fridge, so they kind of cancelled
out the HOT water.
Duh.

Anyhow.
It cooked for 25 minutes and then I let
it naturally pressure release (which means
I did nothing for 45 minutes because I'm lazy
and I was busy outside... lol)

When I remembered I had soup in the cooker,
I came back in the house, let the rest of the
pressure release,
hit the soup with my immersion blender,
added a BUNCH more salt, some more
onion powder, and liquid smoke.
(tasting as I went...)
And then I called the guys in for lunch.

THEY LOVED IT!
I did too.

It made a BIG pot full.
We each had a bowl full
(Kyle added sour cream to his because
he is SKINNY and sour cream makes
"everything better".)
(Since there was already bacon in it.)
(And bacon also makes everything better.)

I still have 3 quarts left.
Is it lunch time tomorrow yet?????

Happy Anniversary to ME!
(You should probably check the recipe though,
I might have forgotten something... I'm doing
this from memory while sitting in my
lovely recliner, feeling guilty because I'm not
a) outside helping
b) driving to the feed store to get hay.
But I DID do the dishes and clean up the kitchen.
So there's that.)

No comments: